The Urban and Local Politics section of the American Political Science Association invites all members to submit nominations for its awards.
The following will be awarded at the 2020 annual meeting in San Francisco:
- The Best Dissertation Award is given annually for the best dissertation on urban politics accepted in the previous year. Studies can be comparative or focused on the United States. The award comes with a $250 prize. Instructions: The submission must include a nomination letter from the graduate’s academic department or supervisor.
- The Byran Jackson Dissertation Research Award recognizes the outstanding scholarship by a graduate student studying racial and ethnic politics in an urban setting. The award comes with a $500 prize. Instructions: The submission must include a nomination letter.
- The Clarence Stone Scholar Award recognizes up to two young scholars who are making a significant contribution to the study of urban politics. The award is to be given to up to two post-PhD scholars who are in their career (pre-tenure, or recently advanced within the last 3 years). Instructions: The submission must include a nomination letter and CV.
- The Dennis Judd Best Book Award recognizes the best book on urban politics published in the previous year. Instructions: The submission must include a nomination letter.
- The Norton Long Career Achievement Award is presented annually to a scholar who has made distinguished contributions to the study of urban politics over the course of a career through scholarly publication, the mentoring of students, and public service. Instructions: A nomination letter and two supporting letters must be submitted to all committee members.
- The Susan Clarke Young Scholar Award recognizes scholars who completed their Ph.D. within the last three years (or are ABDs) and submitted a paper proposal for the 2020 APSA meeting to the 2020 program chairs. Instructions: Please send the proposal to the award committee directly and designate that you are eligible for the Susan Clarke Young Scholars’ Award.
Please submit application materials to the committees directly. The names and email addresses of award committee members are listed on the APSA Urban and Local Politics section website: https://connect.apsanet.org/s13/
Note that people may self-nominate for all awards except the Best Dissertation award, which must be nominated by the graduate’s academic department or supervisor.
The submission deadline is March 15, 2020.